Autism spectrum disorder typically appears during the early years of life. Early assessment and intervention are crucial to a child’s long-term success.
Early warning signs include:
- no social smiling by 6 months
- no one-word communications by 16 months
- no two-word phrases by 24 months
- no babbling, pointing, or meaningful gestures by 12 months
- poor eye contact
- not showing items or sharing interests
- unusual attachment to one particular toy or object
- not responding to sounds, voices, or name
- loss of skills at any time
We encourage you to talk to your pediatrician about concerns.